Garden State Coalition of Schools/GSCS
Non-Partisan, Non-Profit Education Advocacy Organization
GSCS is an association of approximately 100 school districts that serves 300,000 students. Led by a highly motivated volunteer membership,GSCS advocates at the state level for quality public education for New Jersey's children, and also serves the public by maintaining high-level information services .
GSCS is Committed To:
- Improving education without diminishing quality
- Focused advocacy with expertise in school funding
- Emphasizing the inter-related issues of academic achievement, sound educational practices and equitable school finance
- Continuing school programs that lead to high student achievement
Who Belongs to GSCS?
- GSCS is a statewide organization, iwith members including a wide range of districts located from Camden County to Bergen County
- Members include a unique mix of parents, board of education members and superintendents, all of whom bring a broad perspective to GSCS initiatives
How Is the Coalition Organized?
- The 24-school district Board of Trustees is guided by an Excutive Board of GSCS officers
- Meetings are held monthly and all members are welcome.
- GSCS has only one full time staff person and is funded solely through member district dues
- Member districts join through a Board of Education resolution
What Makes GSCS Effective?
- A highly motivated, volunteer membership committed to grass roots decision-making.
- Tight organization and the ability to gather and analyze information and make recommendations quickly
- A commitment to outreach and collaboration with education partners throughout NJ.
- A constant presence in Trenton and the ability to mobilize local educators, parents, state legislators and policymakers for decisive action.
- A reputation for advocating for public support of public education for all children